April 17, 2017: Spotlight on wage inequality subject of second Sen. Holly J. Mitchell hearing on implicit bias and its impact on women
Los Angeles hearing Friday is second of three ‘inequality’ reviews
SACRAMENTO – Persistent wage inequality and its relation to implicit bias and its impact on women, the work place and in life will be highlighted Friday when Sen. Holly J. Mitchell convenes researchers, impacted individuals and social-change makers to work on gender inequality.
The Los Angeles hearing will focus on what can be done to alleviate the wage gap between men and women and is jointly hosted by the Senate Select Committee on Women and Inequality; the Senate Labor Committee; the Legislative Women’s Caucus; and the California Commission on the Status of Women and Girls.
Joining Mitchell at the second of three joint hearings about implicit bias and its impact on women the workforce will be Sen. Steve Bradford of Inglewood; and Asm. Cristina Garcia of Bell Gardens.
The review begins Friday at 10 a.m. and is expected to take three hours. It will be held in Rose Hills Auditorium, 10 Chester Place, Mount Saint Mary’s University Campus, Los Angeles, 90007.
- WHO: Sen. Holly J. Mitchell, D-Los Angeles, chair of the Senate Select Committee on Women and Inequality, joined by the California Commission on the Status of Women and Girls.
- WHAT: A hearing to learn about wage inequality and the science of implicit bias, how it impacts women, and what measures can be taken to alleviate bias and harm.
- WHEN: 10 a.m. Friday, April 21, 2017.
- WHERE: The Rose Hills Auditorium, Mount Saint Mary’s University Doheny Campus, 10 Chester Place, Los Angeles, 90007.
- WHY: To raise public awareness of implicit bias and to help alleviate women’s inequality.
PARKING NOTE: Parking will be available at the AAA out outside of the MSMU campus gates. Carpooling is suggested. MSMU is located near the LATTC/Ortho Institute Expo Line and is accessible by other public transportation in downtown Los Angeles.
For more information, visit Sen. Mitchell’s Web site HERE or at the address below.
Sen. Mitchell is chair of the Senate Budget Committee. A member of the Legislature for more than six years, she represents nearly 1 million residents of Senate District 30, which includes Culver City and much of Los Angeles. More at www.senate.ca.gov/Mitchell
POLICY CONTACT: For policy-related questions, please contact Mitchell consultant Luan Huynh at either firstname.lastname@example.org or call 916 651-4030.
MEDIA CONTACT: Ray Sotero
Sen. Holly J. Mitchell, Senate District 30
Capitol Building, Room 5080
Sacramento, Calif. 95814
(916) 651-4030 office; 916 717-0513 cell