May 9, 2017: Senate Budget chair prepares for Thursday’s release of latest budget estimates
Watch Sen. Holly J. Mitchell’s budget comments on KQED-TV
SACRAMENTO – Sen. Holly J. Mitchell, chair of the Senate Budget Committee, today released the following information about this week’s expected developments on California’s state budget:
- On Thursday, California Gov. Jerry Brown releases revised budget revenue estimates and additional changes to his budget plan for fiscal year 2017-2018.
- To view the May Revision, visit the Department of Finance at http://www.dof.ca.gov/.
- Senate Subcommittee hearings will take place next week, between May 15 and 19.
- A full budget hearing is planned for May 23.
- Agendas for the hearings can be found at http://sbud.senate.ca.gov/agenda.
“The most important role your elected public servants do in Sacramento each year is adopt California’s multi-billion dollar budget,” Mitchell, D-Los Angeles, said. “As the new chair of the Senate Budget Committee, I will be overseeing this process over the next few crucial weeks.
“If you have concerns over state spending from public safety to safety net spending, and from child care to higher education, please consider providing public testimony at these hearings.”
Mitchell, during an interview with KQED-TV San Francisco politics reporter Marisa Lagos, provided a broad overview of the budget in a segment that aired May 5.
Dates to remember:
Thursday, May 11
Subcommittees meet to close pre-May Revise issues
Governor’s May Revision released
Thursday, June 15
Legislature must pass budget by midnight
Photo caption: Sen. Mitchell, far left, speaks as a policy issues panel member at today's meeting of the National Assoiciation of Business Owners, which represents 1.3 million women business owners in California. (Photo courtesy Tia Gemmel/Riverview Media Photography.)
For more information, visit Sen. Mitchell’s Web site HERE or at the address below.
Sen. Mitchell is chair of the Senate Budget Committee. A member of the Legislature for more than six years, she represents nearly 1 million residents of Senate District 30, which includes Culver City and much of Los Angeles. More at www.senate.ca.gov/Mitchell
MEDIA CONTACT: Ray Sotero
Sen. Holly J. Mitchell, Senate District 30
Capitol Building, Room 5080
Sacramento, Calif. 95814
(916) 651-4030 office; 916 717-0513 cell